Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sweet Potato Fries & Orzo

My schedule had been all over the place these past two weeks so I had not bought enough greens to make for side dishes. We've been consuming more protein than veggies or carbs so tonight, I decided we needed to add some! Fortunately, I had some stuff in the freezer that really helped made these two dishes both quick and easy to prepare.

The sweet potato fries was super, super easy. I chopped some sweet potatoes and tossed it with some olive oil, paprika, fresh rosemary, and salt. I popped it in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes (sorry! i don't have the after photo but trust me, they were delicious. even peter who is not a big fan of sweet potato fries at restaurants loved these). They were naturally very sweet.

(while waiting for it to bake in the oven, i prepared the orzo)



For the orzo, I used some leftover tomato sauce that I had made a while back for my pizza sauce plus ground pistachios. Don't worry, the sauce was in the freezer. On the plus side, I know the sauce was loaded with ton of veggies (yippee). I added some ground beef and fresh spinach to the sauce. Feel free to use whatever tomato or marinara sauce you have on hand!



yummm



You can cook the orzo in the sauce or just topped it on the orzo. I overcooked my orzo so I didn't want it to have any more cook time. This was so yummy and I kept adding more to my plate. I like the idea of having some green in it too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment