Sunday, April 18, 2010

Whole Wheat Dark Chocolate Brownies w/ Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur

I had too much fun last night and debated since 7:30 AM whether or not I would be able to make it to my 12 PM personal trainer appointment at Healthworks. Staying very much in character despite a splitting headache, I rose to the occasion like a champ and showed up right on time with a 2 liter bottle of Smart Water. Thank goodness today's appointment was more Q & A, taking some detailed measurements, and completing a simple fitness test.

It turns out I am taller than I thought I was. YEAH! I used to think that I was 5'4" and a 1/4, but today, I learned that I'm actually 5'5" and 1/8th. Although I have gained a bit more than 10 lbs since my first year of law school, my waist measurement was 25" - man, I can't imagine what my waist size was like just a couple of years ago. However, my goal is more about being healthy than losing weight. I just want to lose body fat and gain muscle mass. In fact, my body fat percentage at 18.4% which is considered below average for women my age and size. With that said, of course I made brownies with a whole stick of butter (rarely, rarely do I make anything with a whole stick of butter).

Since I used whole wheat flour in this recipe, I would recommend adding an extra stick of butter (or substitute apple sauce) especially if you prefer that moistness in regular brownies. Don't ask me why I decided to use ww flour again... I think it might be my obsession with the word "whole" when it comes to describing foods.


RECIPE: 1/2 cup ap flour, 1/2 cup ww flour, 3 eggs, 1 cup butter (2 sticks or 1 stick butter & 1 cup of apple sauce), 6 ounces of melted 72% dark chocolate + another 3 ounces of milk chocolate for the dipping sauce*, 1/4 cup of Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt.

*I decided to use extra chocolate instead of sugar.


Turn your oven to 325 degrees.

In a double boiler, melt your chocolate. Again, make sure everything you use is dry b/c water will ruin this.



When it's almost all melted. Throw in your stick of butter. This is the "easier" method or what you can do is cream the butter and eggs in a mixer then fold the flour into it later.



After 10 minutes or so, it should look like this and make you wonder why you don't make this recipe more often.



In a separate bowl, shift flour, baking powder, and salt.



Pour your beaten eggs and chocolate mixture into the flour and combine well.



Spread batter onto your well greased baking dish and add the liqueur. You can do it like this (Anna's way) or the smarter way, pouring it into the batter, i.e., the step before this, and combine well then pour onto baking dish. As you can see, I need more baking dishes.



After 20 minutes in the oven, it should look something like this (not the best photo). Cut it up into desired shapes and wait for it to cool before dipping in melted milk chocolate.



In a double boiler, melt 3 ounces of milk chocolate. Dip your brownies like this. This = what the photo below depicts. I'm out of words.



Then place it on a rack to cool.



Serve these to your friends. Remember to surprise them with the fact that they're eating whole wheat brownies, collect your oohs and ahhs, then surprise them again with how you had to double the butter recipe to using 2 sticks instead of 1. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment