Saturday, April 24, 2010

Roasted Herbed Chicken and Asparagus Bruschetta

My friend Dena was coming over for lunch so I made a trip out to Haymarket to grab a few things. I knew I wanted to buy a baguette and a lot of tomatoes to make fresh marinara sauce for tonight's dinner. Other than that, I was so not sure what I would make for lunch. While I was at a stall trying to pick out some vegetables, I felt someone leaning up very close to my person - so close that I could few the person's private against my backside. I immediately turned around and pretty much pushed this pervert away from me and said something that was way too polite. I mean, there was no one standing to my left or right - and this man, wasn't even holding a shopping bag. In fact he was empty handed and did not look like he was out there to buy anything. I gave him the nastiest look and kept looking to see where he was going and what he was doing next. I had a feeling he picked Haymarket for cheap feels since it's usually very crowded. I was so pissed. In fact, I still am.

In any case, I left out some drumsticks to defrost while I was at class this morning and since I just bought some fresh vegetables, I thought it would be fun to make bruschetta. I am missing a lot of photos because I was busy making marinara sauce and talking to Dena about girly stuff. So you're going to have to use your imagination in this blog.

Set your oven to 400 degrees - roasted.

First, I lined my baking dish with tin foil (just because) and added 2 T of canola oil, 2 T of Italian Spices, and 1 T of kosher salt. I made sure to coat the drumsticks (3 LBs) well with the spices then roasted in the oven for 30 minutes covered and another 10 minutes uncovered.



In another baking dish, I chopped up 1 bunch of asparagus and 4 garlic cloves tossed in some canola oil. I allowed that to roast for about 20 minutes.



In a medium-sized pot turned to medium heat, I added 1/2 T of canola oil and 1/2 ounce of butter. I sliced garlic, button mushrooms, and diced two plum tomatoes. When the fat was hot, I added the garlic first until brown then threw in the mushrooms and cooked for another 2 minutes then I turned off the heat. I threw in the tomatoes and tossed in all that fatty goodness for a few more minutes.

*Imagine mushrooms and tomatoes going into the pot. Also imagine how I also sliced my baguette to about 2 inches thick and toasted then in the oven.



When everything was done, I placed two sliced toasts on the plate, topped it with the asparagus, mushrooms, and tomatoes, then placed the drumstick on top. I spoon some of the fatty but delicious juice from the chicken over the plate. It was really delicious and perfectly seasoned. All you need to do is add some fresh ground pepper on top and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I feel so healthy considering I ate this "tv dinner" last night which must have had a ton of preservatives.

    ReplyDelete