Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sweet Potato & Carrot Multigrain Gnocchi w/ Apples

For a while now, I have been wanting to make gnocchi and finally taking the plunge a few days ago. I read a few recipes, felt like I understood the concept and science behind making these little suckers, and got to work. This was a lot harder than I thought... hard to shape was really the problem. At first, I couldn't seem to get the dough to that "dry" consistency that some recipes describe then I could not, for the life of me, roll out the dough and shape it into cute forked gnocchi. Eventually I gave up on beauty and just did my best to roll them into some form of spherical shape and threw them in boiling water until they floated. At that point, I transferred them to an ice bath to cool down before I slightly tossed them in a shallow pan on medium heat with some olive oil.

I also made a "sauce" for the gnocchi. Pretty much, I took the roasted vegetables I made a few days ago and blend it with 2T of olive oil, 1T of sun-dried tomatoes oil, 2 T of olive juice, and a few sun-dried tomatoes. After that, I poured it into a small sauce pan and added about 1/3 cup of water, some paprika and salt, and allowed it to simmer for about 15 minutes.


In a blender, combine a variety of (about 4 cups) roasted vegetables (i had cauliflower, green beans, summer squash, portobello mushrooms and apples), olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes oil, olive juice, and sun-dried tomatoes.

(my kitchen was a mess!)



Squeeze in a wedge of lemon juice.



Once done, transfer it to a small sauce pan. Mine was obviously too small. Add water/paprika/salt and allow to simmer for a bit. It definitely smells really yummy and mediterranean (?)!. Once done, set it aside to serve over gnocchi and roasted lamb (optional, of course, i think any kind of roasted meat would work).



In a medium sized pot, cook 2.5 lbs of sweet potatoes, and .5 lb combination of carrots and some apple slices. This will take about 30-45 minutes or if you want, nuke them in the microwave for about 10 minutes, then you would only need to cook them for another 10 minutes or so in the pot before they're soft enough to mash. Oh... peel your roots!!!

Try to drain your roots completely before you begin to mash or put them through a strainer.

In a large mixing bowl, add the mashed roots.



Pour in the multigrain flour (4 cups, if you don't like the taste of multigrain then you can substitute 2 cups of plain flour or all plain flour - up to you), make a hole in the middle, and pour in 2 beaten eggs. Slowly combine.



Slowly it will start to look something like this... you might need to add more flour if your dough is still too wet (soggy). The trick is to really drain the roots well. I hand mashed mine so I can see small chunks of sweet potatoes.



This was the best that I could do with the dough... I just took a pairing knife and cut 1/2 inch pieces.



I boiled them, waited until they floated to the top, threw them in the ice bath, waited until they cool down, sliced them up into smaller pieces, drizzled with olive oil, then tossed them in a pan w/ a bit more olive oil when I was ready to serve.



I served my gnocchi with the roasted lamb I had for Easter. The sauce worked really well w/ the lamb and mild sweetness of the gnocchi. Although they weren't very pretty, hence why they're all the way at the bottom of the plate, they tasted very delicious. I would definitely make these again since I could easily freeze them for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment