Monday, April 26, 2010

Childhood Memories IV: Súp Nui (Vietnamese Macaroni Soup)

My friend Dena and I were reminiscing over our childhood memories of eating this soup. We were talking about the differences in how our mothers make it - Dena's mom kept it simple and sweet while my mother did her version of the classic Chicken Noodle Soup by adding celery, carrots, and sometimes potatoes. Dena was complaining about how she bought chicken broth and attempted this dish without much success - so I explained to her that the base of this soup is made with pork and not chicken. Plus American chicken broth is made with other vegetables which I believe gives it that distinctive taste. I have made chicken broth before, many times, and trust me, chicken bones + water does not taste like store bought chicken broth, ever.

I don't have a lot of photos but the recipe is simple. Make your own broth with pork bones. Cook macaroni according to its instruction on the box. Add whatever vegetables you like and season to your liking (means you must add fish sauce). I used chinese black mushrooms, bok choy, and yu choy - because that's what I had in my fridge. I also added a couple of chicken breasts which I later shredded and put in the soup. It worked out quite perfectly. We ate some at my place and I packed some up for Dena to take home and enjoy later. I know, I'm such a Mother Hen.

I mainly used the stalky parts and saved the leafy parts to use in another dish.



These were our bowls. It really reminded me of being 5 and sick. Yes... still good memories though.

No comments:

Post a Comment