Monday, April 12, 2010

Multigrain Rosemary & Goat Cheese Biscuits, et al.

I literally didn't cook any real meals for a week. In fact, I just finished the last of the leftovers today for lunch. Yeah, so I had the itch to whip something up but due to the fact that I ran out mid-bake to catch JetBlue, I over baked my flatbread. It was still very tasty but ten fewer minutes in the oven would have made it close to perfect. Unfortunately, some sorry news on twitter sent my naive self to Mike's Pastry when I should have been at the State House with my mini flag.

In better news, I have 2 more weeks of law school and free after finals! Oh yeah... holla' at ur girl.

So the other night, I tossed a salad with whatever I had in the fridge - and that was romaine lettuce, enoki mushrooms, and beets. I squeezed in some lemon juice and tossed. It was really delicious for such a basic salad. Anyway, less is more, right? Right.

Chop your romaine. I chopped mine pretty thinly.



In a mixer bowl (imagine that i have five of these blue ones)... combine lettuce, enoki, and beets.



Squeeze half a lemon... salt and pepper to season.



How pretty is that color? It looks so fancy yet so healthy! Not that fancy can't be healthy or anything...



Then I decided to make a whole wheat flatbread with summer squash, portobello mushrooms, and goat cheese. I know, by now I am just recycling ingredients, oh well. Plus I have been craving for carbs like mad!

In another mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 1 cup of lukewarm water with 1 tsp of instant yeast dissolved, and 1 tsp of kosher salt. You should have the consistency of a thin pancake batter. Allow it sit for about 15-30 minutes before you bake it in the oven. There's not too much rising here.

Set your oven to 425 degrees.



Prep your ingredients. Feel free to use whatever you like on your flatbread.



Grease, grease your baking dish with a lot of olive oil. Like 3 Ts! Pour in your batter and make sure it spreads evenly. Use a spatula to help you. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the edges are nice and crisp.



I'm too ashamed to show you what mine looked like but here's the better photo with the toppings. Throw it back into the oven on broil, low heat, for about 3-5 minutes until the cheese has melted then serve! It was really delicious and addictive. And look how easy it was to make a flatbread pizza from scratch!



Ta Da! Cut into cute pieces and impress your guests.



Multigrain Rosemary & Goat Cheese Biscuits. These guys were quite the winner. In the same oven (heated at 425 degrees), I baked these puppies for about 8 minutes.

In another mixing bowl (theoretically), combine 2 cups of multigrain flour, 2/3 cup of milk, 3 Ts of canola oil, and 3 ounces of goat cheese. Mix well then knead the dough in the bowl (it's too sticky to knead on a work surface) then scoop out onto a baking sheet. No need to grease but can slightly grease if you're concerned about sticking like I am.

I know, not the most attractive looking scoops of biscuits. Use a biscuit cutter if you have one... all I have are measuring spoons.



After 8 minutes...



they're so fluffy and full of flavor. I love multigrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment