Thursday, March 11, 2010

Easy, Healthy, Whole Wheat Pizza

Okay, I lied. I don't have a photo of how I served the pork belly but I'll recap what I did. It looked so good that I sliced a few pieces and popped them in my mouth. Yup, just like that. I also made spring rolls: vermicelli, sliced pork belly, napa, scallion greens, and julienned carrots. It's just so good that every time I start to slice it, I just want to eat it right away. It doesn't need any dressing up to taste better, it's already great! Kinda' like cake.

Anyway, it's Thursday and I have whole wheat pizza dough in the freezer (from Whole Foods). I have to admit. I hate pizza dough. Gosh, it's so hard to work with, roll and manipulate. I almost admitted defeat when the dough kept bouncing back to its original shape even after 15 minutes of constant rolling. Finally, finally... it somehow stopped being so resilient. Hallelujah. Tonight, I'm heading to East by Northeast - I'm super stoked. The restaurant has been receiving a lot of good press since its grand opening.

Set your oven to 400 degrees.

Like usual, I want to make the entire thing slightly healthier so I added some stuff to the sauce. Yes, stuff... like zucchinis (just had to use them up), some onions, shallots, garlic, and sugar.



Chop everything up...



and throw them up all in blender until you can't tell some good green stuff went in the mix.



Slice some onions and shallots to caramelize before topping the pizza.




Throw them into the pan. I added some olive oil and about a tablespoon of sugar.



Slice some zucchinis also.



Add 1 tsp of Italian Spices.



Cook until it looks like this then set it aside.



Chop up some olives and sun dried tomatoes.



Ugh. Dough Time. Throw some flour on your work surface.



Roll it out into a log (I found this to be easier method to shape the dough).



Now roll it into whatever shape you can get it to stay.



Carefully pick it up and place it in your baking pan. Play with the edges of the dough to make the crust.



Add some olive oil before adding the sauce. Then cheese.

*all of my sauce photos were blurry so I didn't post them, in any case, i only had smoked cheddar so that was what I used but feel free to use any other kind of cheese you like or have on hand. I really wanted to use feta.



I used grilled chicken from Trader Joe's. I topped the pizza with this, the olives and sun dried tomatoes, and caramelized onions, zucchinis and shallots. I popped it in the oven for 20 minutes.



After 20 minutes... I got this. Not the best photo, I know. I squeezed a bit of lemon over it and it was really yummy... at least you also know that it's healthy :). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment