Sunday, March 7, 2010

Japanese "Yokan" Dessert

Again, it's all about being creative and using the ingredients in my kitchen and pantry. I had a bag of azuki beans + many, many bags of agar-agar. What to do? Combine the two and add some sugar, how simple?!

You can buy a can of azuki beans paste but I just boiled mine and then puréed them in my blender. Very easy. It was such a nice and refreshing dessert for today's warm weather. I took a super long walk around the waterfront and enjoyed the warm sun. When I got back to my apartment, I was feeling low on sugar and ate a few pieces right away. It definitely hit the spot.

Azuki beans are also very healthy and good for those who are watching their weights - since the high protein helps you feel fuller for longer!

Anyway, enough talking... here's how you make it. It does need some time in the fridge to cool and set.

Boil a 1/2 cup of azuki beans for about an hour or until they're soft enough to blend. Or, you can use a can of azuki bean paste. Add 3 tablespoons of sugar to the pot.



The water will change to a very deep and muddy color. It should look something like this... press on the beans to check on their tenderness. If you can smush them with your fingers, then they're done.



I saved the water that it was boiled in and added another cup to equal 3 cups of water. I puréed the beans in my blender to turn it into a paste.



So simple!



Now pour the 3 cups of water back into the pot, add another 3 tablespoons of sugar (more/less depending on your preference), and then the paste. Mix well.



I used this brand of agar powder. You will need roughly 1 tsp for every 1 1/4 cup of water, so here, I added 2 1/4 + tsp of agar.




Cook until it comes to a boil then pour into a shallow container and allow it to cool and set in the fridge overnight.


It should look something like this tomorrow... so yummy! Plus, the bakery always sell these for about $2 + dollars a piece but you can make this simple dessert at home for much, much cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment