Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Very Berry 7 Grain Pancakes

More meetings, phone calls, and emails later, I wanted something sweet. But I refused to have those boxed cookies hiding somewhere in my pantry. No, no, and no. Plus, I don't want any more stuff going straight to my you know where. And it's more important to train your taste buds to crave a different kind of sweet (whatever that means). In any case, I like to challenge myself when I know I have absolutely nothing in my fridge except a fancy jug of New Hampshire Grade A Maple Syrup (a reward after a long day of helping the family collect sap). Next, I went to my freezer and saw a ton of blueberries and strawberries. I know I have a bag of Bob's Mill 7 Grain Pancake mix in the pantry somewhere...

Take out your griddle or any other flat surface pan like stuff you could use to cook these babies. Add a bit of butter (enough to grease the pan and some) and turn to a medium heat. Allow it to heat up while you mix the ingredients.

In a blender, add 1/4 cup blueberries, 3-5 large whole strawberries, 1 egg, and a 1/5 cup of milk. The amounts of liquids you get depends on whether you use frozen or fresh. I used frozen and this recipe yielded enough liquids to use up to 1.5 cups of pancake mix.



Blend until all the ingredients are liquified. Like this,



I only wanted to make a small batch of pancakes so I used 3/4 cup of flour. I then added 3/4 cup of the liquified berries but played around w/ the recipe with a bit. The idea is that less liquid makes more cake-like pancakes. Remember, do not over beat your pancakes. I usually try to stir it gently to make sure all the flour is combine then let the batter sit for about 5-10 minutes.



I had my stove on 5.5 heat and cooked these babies for approximately 2 minutes on each side and I only flipped them once. The more you flip the tougher the pancakes.



Yeah baby... this is oh so good. I just had to heat it up. Warm maple syrup because there's just no other way to eat it.



Look at that texture... they were so nice and fluffy. And don't we all love purple pancakes?!



I topped mine with diced apples, a dash of nutmeg, and warm maple syrup. Totally hit-the-spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment