Monday, March 29, 2010

Brioche

I bought fresh bone marrow the other day and was dying to spread this meat butter on some toasted brioche... ahh yum. However, the bad weather in Boston really discouraged my venturing out to get a loaf... so what to do but to make one! It was a lot easier than I thought but required a lot of patience. The recipe suggested that I wait about 3 hours for it rise before I baked it but I only waited 2. It turned out great but I can't stop wondering "what if" I had waited the 3 hours...

Set your oven to 400 degrees.

You will need flour, milk, 3 eggs (1 for glazing), butter, yeast, sugar, and salt.



In a mixing bowl, combine 1 2/3 cups of flour, 3 T of sugar, 3 1/4 tsp of yeast, , and 1/4 tsp of salt. I actually also added 2 T of whole wheat pastry flour... I know, I just can't give it up with this WWP flour.



In another mixing bowl, combine 1/3 cup of WARM milk, softened butter (I used 3.5 ounces, a whole stick is 4 ounces), 2 eggs. Whisk well.



You can make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients or just slowly pour in the liquids and combine as you go...



It's a fairly sticky dough compared to say, pizza dough, but it shouldn't stick to your hands and fingers when you knead it. If it does, just add a bit more flour like 1/2 T at a time. Make sure you knead it well so that all the dry ingredients are dissolved, especially the yeast. You will be able to see the grains of yeast in the dough so keep kneading until you don't see it anymore.



Once it easily pulls away from the bowl, like the photo below, then you can set it somewhere warm and keep it covered w/ a towel. Allow it to rise for about 2 hours or until it doubles in size.



That looks good... now take it out and knead it some more (on a floured surface).



Again, it should be kinda' sticky but not sticking to your fingers as you knead it.



Now separate the 3rd egg and mix the yolk w/ some butter and 1/2 tsp of sugar. I really don't know why this picture is so dark, sorry!



After about 45 minutes to an hour, glazed the dough w/ the egg yolk mixture. How pretty is that?

Stick it in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes then after that, reduce to 350 degrees, and bake for 20-25 minutes.



Once done, take it out and place on a cooling rack.





I really should have toasted my brioche before I spread the meat butter but I just couldn't wait! It was so delicious - both the brioche and meat butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment