Monday, March 15, 2010

Dark Chocolate Mousse (Super Simple!)

I was craving for something sweet, and also needed to make room in my fridge, so I used that chocolate I grounded not so long ago to make a chocolate mousse. You only need egg whites, chocolate, and sugar to make your delicious mousse. It's so simple and decadent! As soon as I finished it, Peter wanted to eat it right away but I told him he had to wait until it sets. Boo... but it's so worth it. I recommend topping the mousse with some berries - the tartness gives a nice contrast to the sweet dessert.

You will need a double boiler to melt the chocolate but that's super easy to do. Take out a small pot, fill it almost half way with water, and top it off with an oven safe boil. Turn your stove onto low heat, like 3-4.

Pour in the chocolate (about 5-6 ounces) and make sure not to get any water in there! It's important, if you do, for some reason the chocolate will harden and become a pain to melt. To keep things fairly healthy, I didn't add additional sugar, however, you can add more if you prefer your mousse sweeter.



Whip your egg whites (3) until it forms a soft peak. Ugh, I'm doing this by hand again but if you have a hand whipper (add a pinch of salt to help it stiffen), use that, it will only take minutes.



The egg whites should be cloud-like or bubbles-like: fluffy and airy.



Stir occasionally to help your chocolate melt evenly. Add a pinch of nutmeg (I just like this stuff!).



Once the chocolate has all melted, turn the heat down a little lower, like to a 2. Slowly fold in the egg whites a small amount at a time.



When you're done with folding in all of your egg whites, the chocolate mousse should look something like this. Refrigerate it and allow it to set. I left mine in the fridge overnight.



It should look something like this the next day. Yum... look at that creamy texture. The flavor is unique and tastes distinctly like what dark chocolate mouse should be. :D



What about the egg yolks?! I made some more egg custards... how clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment