Sunday, March 28, 2010

Childhood Memories II: Oeufs Au Plat

I have been very nostalgic lately. Oh my. I mean, this was one of the first very thing I made on a stove, by myself, and unsupervised as a kid was frying a sunny side up egg. My mother refers to this dish by its french name and that's what I still call it today. She usually gives me a small loaf of french bread, two sunny side up eggs, ground black pepper, and soy sauce. She instructed me to break the yolk, which I never wanted to because it was too pretty to look at, and mix the yolk with the soy sauce. I would then break off pieces from the french bread and dip it into the creamy blend. Somehow, the egg itself wasn't really so attractive anymore - I just wanted more creamy yolk! The trick is to not to overcook the egg yolk so I usually allow my pan to heat up really well (in other words, HOT) and cook the egg just until the whites are done.

This is Peter's first oeufs au plat so I was very excited and decided to make it fun for him. Look at all the cool cutters (meant for making bento boxes but worked like a charm here)! Now go and place a non-stick pan on your stove, turn up to a medium-high heat (7-8) and add some butter. It's just not the same with oil, it really isn't. Trust me.

(can someone tell me how i can remove the stain from my stovetop, please?!?!)



It spilled out a bit but I just trimmed it.



This one just makes me feel so happy.



I, totally, burnt my toast. Big dove, little dove.



Unfortunately, I don't have photos of Peter cutting the apple. He did a really good job and ate all the stars that lost a point before I got to throwing them out. Healthy snack!

Yes, there's also a bunny (for Easter, although I really should be be making matzoh ball soup for pesach).



Since that was our dinner, Peter and I ventured out into the North End for our so called coffee & cannoli date but ended up with a meat & peas aranci from Bova's and blueberry mousse cake from Lyndell's. We leave Mike's and Modern's to the tourists and suburbanites. :D

For some reason, we didn't see/taste any meat or peas in our aranini.



As for our blueberry mousse, it was a blah one for us. We didn't really enjoy all that white chocolate on the outside and the inside was blah. Should have just gotten a cupcake.



And look at what we saw outside our window today... it looks like quite the workout but I'm more excited for my Body Defined class tomorrow morning (yippee).

No comments:

Post a Comment