Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Busy Day Braised Beef Ribs

I got my case continued first thing this morning but I've still got a ton to do, finish preparing for my motion to suppress, readings for my classes, and shopping. :) I was so tired last night and could not find myself to make dinner. My Potsticker brought home burgers and sweet potato fries from Boston Beer Works, conveniently across the street from us, and I finished the entire thing... I woke up feeling a little bit of shame and heaviness in my bottoms.

Tomorrow, marks the very first time I met my potsticker a year ago! We're going out to dinner but he's not telling me where. I've got some guesses but I'll wait for the surprise. Anyway, this is what I like to cook on a busy and snowy New England day. I call it the "Anna's Busy Day Braise".

I scored some nice (and cheap!) beef back ribs at Whole Foods the other day so I am determined to put them to good use. There are spices involved but no need to run out to the store just be creative and use whatever you've got sitting on the shelves. Trust me.



Look at the beauty, I mean, the marbling on that piece of fine meat.



Take out a plate and add your spices. If all you have is a huge jar of Italian Seasonings, that's fine too. I just used kosher salt, some oregano, some thyme, and some rosemary. Oops, I lied. I also grounded a medley of peppers (peppercorn, red, and white) into the mix. I like the plate - it helps me feel like summer's here.



Generously rub your beef ribs with the spices and remember to press the spices into the meat. Then set aside.



Take out some shallots, onions, and garlic. Leave them whole. Imagine that there is a picture of the onion... my onion is in the oven broiling, you should do the same to yours. It makes my apartment smell heavenly.



Carrots. Cut them into medium chunks but at an angle. Just keep switching up the directions as you cut it. Does that make sense? I DO NOT peel carrots. :D



Pour a little oil (1 tablespoon) into a large heavy pot. If you have one of those fancy dutch ovens, use that. Turn the stove up to a high heat because you're going to want to sear those suckers before you braise them. I clearly need better photography skills.



Wait until the pot is hot then quickly sear the ribs on all sides but not the back side due to the curve in the rib. There are two schools of thoughts on searing meat before braising, sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. But with these ribs, I just really wanted to sear them to get that nice char on the fat, I mean, marble. You might only need to do it for 1-2 minutes.



Then do the same to the sides.



Put them all on a plate and set aside.



Now throw in the carrots, shallots, and garlic. Toss them in that nice fatty and spiced up oil until they're covered in all that goodness. Take them out and put on a plate.



Turn the stove down to a low-medium heat and put the back ribs back in the pot.



Add carrots, shallots, and garlic.



Some bay leafs.



Add about a cup of water or broth if you have it on hand. You can use chicken or beef, it doesn't really matter, since these beef back ribs will also create a nice broth in the braise. If you have red wine or port you can also add an additional 1/4 cup of that too if you like. I've cooked these braises with and without red wine. It taste great either way.



Remember that onion I had broiling in the oven? Well, I'm going to take that out and put it right in the pot. I am going to cook it, on low heat, covered for the next 2-3 hours while I catch up on some much needed work.



I've got some fresh spinach set aside since I will probably serve them later with the back ribs. I'll probably quickly blanch them and set a bed to serve the ribs on top.



3 hours later... after getting a lot of work done and, please excuse the bad photography, the meat is falling off the bone! It's so tender and flavorful even though I did not add any additional salt or pepper aside from what I used in the rub.



This was how I served it but again, the picture does not give this plate enough credits. Enjoy!




I will be speaking to 1Ls and 2Ls later about post-graduate legal fellowship opportunities. How exciting?!

No comments:

Post a Comment