Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Roasted Pork Belly

The aroma circulating in my apartment right now is intoxicating. I have to thank the new pork belly craze in higher end restaurants that's got me all puzzled and caused me to set out on this mission to recreate this dish. As always, my theory of cooking is to preserve the originality of the main ingredient without over seasoning and over saucing. Like in this dish, very few ingredients went into the marinade but I have learned that with the right cut, temperature, and timing - anything can turn out as tasty and wonderful as the crackling skin on this slab. I mean, taking this piece of heaven out of the oven left me speechless. Can it be true - it this what seeing your child for the first time is like?!

Look at that char on the crispy skin... Can you see how syrupy the marinade is? That's what happens when you allow it to reduce in the oven.



Yes, that's pretty crispy... I had to sharpen my knife before cutting through the skin. The sound of its skin crackling was like whispers of sweet nothings in my ears.



I know. It looks like a heart attack. But everything great in this world has once been compared to a heart attack. I'll accept that.



Tomorrow, I will show you how I served it.

No comments:

Post a Comment