Monday, March 29, 2010

Roast Beef

I had this huge chunk of beef in the fridge and I don't even have the label to tell me the cut. I bought the chunk at my local butcher after admiring its beauty for a bit. Any hunk of meat with marbling just makes me weak in the knees. In any case, I have had a long week and really didn't want to do more work for dinner. I turned in my bar application today (yippee), made plans for my travels to Vietnam (whoopie), and prepared for my hearing on Wednesday (ehh). So tonight, I went with what I know best - if you combine simple but good ingredients w/ the appropriate cooking method then you're going to have a great meal. That's it. It is that simple. So here, all you need is a good piece of roasting beef, butter (about an ounce), and a pinch of salt.

Turn your oven to 375 degrees to roast.

This is my guy. Transfer it to a baking dish lined with 2 layers of tin foil. The first layer to prevent extra scrubbing and the second layer is used to wrap your hunk.



Rub the whole thing w/ butter and sprinkle some kosher salt on top. Gosh, just looking at this guy reminds me of Moses - do not cook a calf in its mother's milk. What have I done?!



After 1.5 hours in the oven, it looks like this. I'm so proud.



Now cut into the center... ahh, look at that pink. I love rare roast beef. At least, I can save myself $9 this week from buying a pound of good rare roast beef at the supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment