Saturday, November 6, 2010

Japanese (Noritama Furikake) Bagels

So, I'm hosting a brunch tomorrow. My theme is "East Meets West" only because my friends so often tease me about how I constantly brag that I have balanced well my east and west. One of the things on the menu for tomorrow's brunch is my inventive Japanese bagels! I pretty much started with the basic bagel dough batter and added about 3 T of noritama furikake (egg, seaweed, and other savory spices) seasoning to it. I've made bagels before, pretzel bagels to be exact, and those were yummy.

I am not baking mine tonight and letting the dough rise overnight instead. I'll bake them first thing in the morning.

You will need,

3 cups of flour + some extra for kneading
3 T of noritama furikake seasonings
2 T of sugar
1 1/4 cups of lukewarm water
1 T of instant yeast
1/2 T of canola oil or any other neutral oil to coat the dough

For boiling the bagels,

You will need a large pot with about 8 cups of water and 1/3 cup of baking soda (to give it that nice golden color). Boil for about 30-45 seconds on each side.

For baking the bagels,

Turn your oven to 400 degrees and bake for about 8-10 minutes.


In a large mixing bowl, add all your dry ingredients.




This is the kind that I used. You should be able to find it in your asian grocery market.



Combine well and then make a hole or "well" in the middle.



Pour in the water and slowly combine flour and water. The idea is to keep pressing more flour against the dough.



Will start to look kinda' raggedy like this...



Once you're done, take out the dough and put it on a floured surface then began to knead until smooth. I'm not sure what is going on with the color in this photo?!?

The dough should be moist but not sticky. Your fingers shouldn't be catching most of the dough.



Yes, those are my fingerprints.



Try to gather the dough into a ball.



Grease it well. Then allow to rise in a large bowl, covered (no breeze), and place in a warm area (maybe the oven?). Excuse the blurriness.



This is not a particular large bowl but I later moved it into one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment