Sunday, November 7, 2010

East Meets West Brunch

The brunch went really well today! I'm so glad that I brought two offices together although we all work on the same floor. The best floor to be exact. We're all about the same age so it was nice that we finally had a chance to talk outside of work, got to know each other, and can finally avoid the awkward let-me-walk-by-you-quickly-smile sorta' thing.

Anyway, the idea for the theme came to be because a friend of mine recently sent me a photo of a store called, East Meets West, and shared that he immediately thought of me when he saw it. I must admit that I had so much fun playing around with the ingredients and coming up with fun dishes.

I made a bulgur wheat salad with watercress, thai okra, broccoli, summer squash, butternut squash, corn, grape tomatoes and white kidney beans. I added a moroccan spice to it + feta cheese and some balsamic vinaigrette.



Mixing it in with the bulgur wheat - pre-feta and balsamic vinaigrette. I made this the night before and cooled it overnight in the fridge. I added the cheese and vinegar later.



I also made a crustless quiche. I am known for these quiches... I love making crustless quiches. In this quiche, garlic chives, bok choy, white button mushrooms and yellow bell peppers. Of course, there were eggs and milk.



And after 20 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees - it looks like this. The texture was just right and airy. I try to set the eggs out at room temperature for about a 1/2 hour before I use it then I beat the crap out of it.



I also served a homemade strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry preserves (over non-fat plain yogurt) that I also made the night before and allowed to cool overnight in the fridge.



Yes, hot spiced cranberry cider was a-w-e-s-o-m-e. Saying that reminds me of the South Park episode of awesome-o. Go check it out - great episode.



Of course, there has to be a fresh and piping hot pot of french press coffee.



This was the spread after people had start serving... oops but before the delicious banana nut bread that Heather brought. There was also baked red potato homefries with sweet basil that I've been growing.



OMG. This banana nut bread was so good! I must get the recipe and asks others to bake it for me because I am a poor baker.



Anyway, like the wise Borat would say, GREAT SUCCESS!!!

1 comment: