Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tofu & Asparagus Pasta in a Butter/Balsamic Sauce

With today's Bruins Parade taking over Boston... I am confined to my apartment until approximately 1 PM.  Even at 7:30 AM this morning, I had a tough time crossing the street to get to my gym. Now, crossing the street is totally prohibited. I am watching the parade in the comfort of my living room while enjoying a bowlful of pasta. Yeah! The weather is also really cooperating with today's parade - it's gorgeous out!

UPDATE: forget about being confined to just my apartment - i can't leave the city! first, the train stations were closed then once they open up, it was impossible to even get in... the line was out the door and for a train station to be that packed, it was deep.

On a different note, I have had a rough past month or so and my friends and family have been truly amazing in showing their support. For that reason, I promise to throw them a very nice dinner party soon that will include three different proteins and endless sides. I'm taking requests as of today. :)

Anyway, this pasta dish was uber delicious, quick and easy to make, and not to mention healthy (forget the butter, we all need a lil' dairy in our life).


Cook pasta according to package's instruction and as much as you'd like to eat/serve. I used up half the box which is about 2 cups of pasta. I also really like this brand since it doesn't taste extra wheatie like some other brands. 


Some fresh and extra crisp asparagus - so yummy and grassy. Well, I'd say that asparagus is one of the greens that carries the essence of a vegetable. Somewhat like fiddlehead ferns... if you were to taste them blindly - you would know it was a green of some sort. No mistake there. 


Chop 'em up! I decide to chop it evenly but go smaller/larger according to your asparagus eating preference. 


Dice some firm tofu. About 2 cups.


In a pan, heat up some butter. I slowly added 1 T but I added another T later on... so 2 Ts to make the ideal sauce and create the ultimate butter absorption. I cook this on medium heat. 


If you like, you can wait for it to brown. I didn't. I just went for it and added 1/2 T of kosher salt. 


Oh yeah. Throw it the tofu and toss them around in the butter. It makes me even more hungry thinking about the tofu soaking up the butter... what better way to eat tofu than soaked in butter?!


Optional. If you care, add some onion. Yes, very specific. Every now and then, I like a little red onion in my pasta. 


Throw 'em in!


A little italian seasoning make everything tastes better, right? Add 1/2 T into your pan. 


See what I mean? It looks so much tastier. 


I threw in the asparagus last because I want it to still have a nice crunch. 


Add a 1/2 cup of water to the pan to help cook the asparagus and create a nice sauce. 


While that's cooking, get out two nice and ripe plum tomatoes... 


Half 'em then slice 'em


and dice 'em!


Add 1/2 T of Italian Seasoning. Loving the hue!


Add a 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar. 


Oh yeah...


Now back to that... looks cooked all right. Turn off heat and prepare to serve. 


Serving and plating (or bowling?)


Add the tofu and asparagus. Some ground black pepper if you will.


But wait! No pasta dish is complete without a little grated cheese. Here, I have gouda, aged 3 years. 


Now, that looks a lot better.


Top with tomatoes and devour. 


No comments:

Post a Comment