Monday, June 13, 2011

Lemongrass Beef and Green Beans Soba Noodles

This is technically not a stir-fry of any sort. I adamantly say so because I cooked the meats separately from the vegetables. I didn't do it so that I get to say I didn't make a stir-fry but the belief in distinct flavors and textures. Gosh, that's the snootiest I've ever sounded on this blog. In all seriousness, I felt that the crisp flavors of the slightly steamed green beans complimented the strong salty & spicy beef. I do believe that this is a very common theme in Vietnamese cooking hence a plate of fresh herbs to compliment a piping hot bowl of pho.

In an effort to clean out my freezer and use up my veggies... this dish came to mind. So simple to make, so delicious, and best of all, no need to call your local Japanese restaurant and pay umpteen dollars for soba noodles. The link just in case some of us have no idea what I mean by umpteen and may assume whether or not I'm using some sort of scientific mathematical jargon.


1/2 lb of sliced round eye steak


2 Ts of chopped lemon grass
1 T of diced onion (not pictured)
1/2 T of chopped bird's eye chilies



1/2 cup of soy sauce
2 Ts of sugar
1/2 tsp of distilled vinegar


1 T of fresh chili paste


I used this brand and highly recommend it. 


3 servings of soba noodles cooked according to package's instructions. In any case, make as much soba noodles as you would like to have and or serve. Also, it is super duber easy to overcook soba noodles so as soon as the water boils, drop them in, and do not take your eyes off them. 


Throw in some homemade pickled veggies if you have some, if not, do slice some cucumbers to add to the dish. The light and refreshing cucumbers will cut the bold taste of the beef and its sauce. 


This is the best part. In a pan, add 1 T of butter and cook on low heat until it browns. Yes, browned butter is amazing. Thanks to a beloved Greek grandmother who used to make her grandson browned butter pasta, I would never have thought to brown my butter. 


Not yet there but beginning to brown. You see the specks?


Oh yeah, that's brown all right. Yeah, add your beef to the dish and turn the heat up to a med-high.


Add the lemon grass, onion, and chilies then stir fry. :)


Pour in the sauce and inhale the amazing aroma. This dish could definitely turn a frown upside down.


While that is cooking, stem your green beans and prepare to flash steam them. And by that I mean you should add a 1/2 cup of water to the bowl and throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes. The beans will be nicely steamed and still crisp. Just perfect!


Checking back on your beef... the color is nicely developed and so is the aroma.


Now, it's time to plate. Unfortunately, I overcooked my soba while trying to multitask. I am confident you won't do the same. 


Add your green beans. I could definitely eat these up as a midday snack - that crunch is addictive. Move over chips. 


The beautiful beef. 


Pickled veggies. The tartness is very nice but I imagine that fresh cucumbers will give the same effect on your taste buds. 


From the side. That one piece of cucumber looks so awkward and out of place but holding on by a carrot stick. 




No comments:

Post a Comment