Thursday, June 9, 2011

London

It never crossed my mind that I'd fall this much in love with London.  I like Chicago, I like Paris, and I like SF, a lot, but I <3 London. I have the best family in the world and they indulge my every food desire and request while we were in London. I don't think they said "no" to me once from wanting to devour ice cream at George & Danver's in Oxford to eating lovage at St. John's - I had one of the best times of my life this past week in London.

We also went to Thomas Cubitt for upscale pub food and had my best yet steak and ale pie, Wodka for good ole' polish food and a must visit since they're closing in July due to sale of the building, Tas Restaurant for Turkish Food, Pho Cafe for Pho but I do not recommend it, at all, pork cheeks at Camino, wild boar sausage at Jamie's Italian, global brunch at Kopapa, indian tapas at Imli, fine french at Le Columbier, thai food at Mangosteen, high tea at The Athenaum, touristy breakfast at the Brown's, fro yo at Snog, and amazing macarons at Laduree. I had the best fish and chips at some small pub on an unknown street out in Ham near the Ham House. We also had amazing mojitos at Sketch and recommend checking out the bar scene at the Botanist. Ok, that's all folks - until I remember any other places I chowed down at.

To clarify, I also did many other cultural things such as museums and musicals... I don't want to turn into a vapid New England girl as ironic as that might sound.



I saw this place and went bongkers!


Crowd outside Laduree in Covent Garden



Covent Garden Market



Inside Snog in Soho. How freaking cute is this place?!


The Somerset House is a must visit since the famous Van Gogh self-portrait with his ear newly cut off is there


One of the many bridges I crossed in London. I think this was the Golden Jubilee bridge and learned that people often mistaken the Tower Bridge for the London Bridge since the London Bridge is just so ordinary. Shocker, eh. 

I know this sounds really dorky but someone's gotta' point it out! 


Trafalgar Square on a gorgeous day in London!


Having Pimm's at Shakespeare's Head in Soho



My family!



Kate acting as our tour guide at the Bristish Musem and Matt wondering why we couldn't visit the other exhibits. Super fun times I tell ya'.


Kate really wanted to go to Wagamama before the British Museum but we found it under fire, literally.


Outside the Tas Restaurant - great weather!



I found this place in Oxford and for a minute there thought I was in SF.




Christ Church, the largest college at the University of Oxford - gee, wished I was smart enough to go to Oxford - I mean, how can you not fall in love with this place?


Again, Christ Church dining hall where the first two Harry Potter movies were filmed. We actually snuck in after hours and disregarded all the no visitors allowed signs.


High table. From what I understand, you must be a professor and invited (of course) to enjoy a meal there. 


The stained glass windows at Christ Church that became the inspiration or story for Alice in Wonderland. Charles Dodgson aka Lewis Carroll was a student at Christ Church and later took on various rolls there but he became very friendly with the dean's daughter, Alice, and it is believed that the book's main character was named after her. 


One of the many, many amazing things I found at the food hall of Harrod's. I chose this photo because I've often joked that such goods were the first loves of my life.



Front garden of the Ham House and where the movie, Net Let Me Go, was filmed. Having seen the movie, I do not recommend it.



The menu at St. John's - gee, I can't wait to go back! Although, I really want to go to the location on St. John St. out in the East End, I believe.




I found this poster in the tube station and loved it!

"maybe you can carry a designer handbag with a price tag that could not only feed a family of five for six months, but probably fit one in too"



High tea at The Athenaum - cheesy photo but so nice.


Portobello Road Market in Nottinghill that went on for miles or a mile


One of the many awesome goodies at the Borough Market


No comments:

Post a Comment