Monday, June 27, 2011

Dandelions Greens Summer Salad

It is definitely important to have great friends in life. I know I'm stating the obvious but it is truly comforting, and more, to know that there are always great people in my life with whom I can celebrate the good times, the bad times, and all the other times. Like I've shared, I haven't been feeling well and still waiting to find out what exactly is the issue... in the mean time, my friends have come over, brought food, sent cute messages, and their outpour of support makes this not-so-fun time feel pretty fun.


Hey guys, I also enjoy homemade ice cream and cake. Wanna' come over tomorrow?


I am also look forward to receiving my Spanish language learning CDs? I guess it's like Rossetta Stone... my friend knows that I am considering Bogota this fall and heard that one shouldn't go without learning some Spanish so she hooked it up.  So, don't be surprised when the next post is in Spanish. Yeah, no braggin', but I'm a fast learner. 


Anyway, anyways, I joke. I found dandelion greens at the farmer's market the other day and was excited to try it out. I made a salad with it and everything else I have in my fridge such as orange, pomegranate, ginger, yellow chives, tomatoes, slivered almond, and homemade shallot confit. I have a jar of fried shallot, garlic, and green onion and love it as a topping in salads and noodle soups. 


My camera ran out of batteries so had to take photos with my iPhone. Go iPhone!






It does look like wild greens you have seen growing like weeds everywhere. 


Quarter an orange. 


Then flesh the orange. Save the peel. Will show you why. 

I write in short sentences just like the great late Hemingway.


Yellow chives. Not to be mistaken with red chives. 

(Yellow chives are Chinese chives that have been grown with little light. Yellow chives are tender and mild tasting.)


Stack your ginger in preparation for julienning.


This is terribly thick... please, don't judge. I just didn't have the energy to julienne them much thinner. 


Throwing it together...


Adding more...


Squeezing what's left of the orange in the peel - this creates a nice and healthy dressing. All you need to add after this is some salt and pepper to taste. Ingenious!


Action photos are awesome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment