Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Garlic Scapes Stir-fry

With pork belly, green beans, and candied ginger.

I came across these curly suckers at the farmer's market today and couldn't help but wonder what these funny named thing taste like. I asked the gentleman behind the counter what to do with them and his response, "you can do anything with them, heck, you could eat them just like this [raw]".  Albeit it was way too broad a response, it turned out to be slightly helpful. Yes, you got it... the first thing I did when I got home was ate a piece raw. Whoa! These tiny spiny things pack a ton of flavor. I would say they tasted like a very sweet and sharp garlic. They definitely taste almost like garlic chives that I often use. With that said, I do not recommend that you order anything with garlic scapes on a first date. Although, they do taste a lot more mild after they're cooked but to be on the safe side, save it for another day unless you or your date enjoy garlic breath.

Feel free to cook it with a different protein. I happen to have poached pork belly stored it in its broth so decided to use that instead of beef or chicken or whatever else your heart so desire.

Off topic, gosh, I have been eating extremely spicy foods lately. This is totally out of character for me - I'm not sure what happened but one day, I couldn't seem to get enough of the hotness from my pepper sauce and for whatever reason, that seems to be the case with every meal now. Well, glad I could vent about it.


Garlic Scapes. 3 bunches for $5. What a steal! NOT. 


They are slightly funny looking... all curly and stuff. 


Yes, you have to peel this dry piece of grass like thing off from them... doesn't seem too delicious to eat if you ask me. 


I used one bunch and cut them into 2-2.5" pieces.


My trimmed and halved green beans. I love that pairing knife - by far, one of the best birthday gifts ever. 


Smash a knob of ginger with all your might and scare the neighbors below you. Do also scream very loudly as your cleaver make its way down to pound. 


SWEET! That knob yield a perfect tablespoon of minced ginger. Yes, do mince the knob.

WARNING (for the next photo)


I know, I know. It is not the most attractive photo but I mean, how can you not love the coagulated fat floating on top? It's like the cream of the crop. 


Yup, that's my guy.  Tender and all.


Slice thinly or thickly - whatever you prefer. In other words, your chewing preference. 


I love the lines. Eye candy, really.


This is the really, really delicious part and the star of the whole dish. I love the texture and fatty goodness. 


Oh yeah, we're going to need a sauce. Let's keep it simple. 1/4 cup of soy sauce, feel drops of vinegar, and...


one heaping tablespoon of hot sauce. I told you, I can't seem to get enough!


In a pan, add 2 Ts of canola or some other neutral oil, turn to a medium heat. Wait for the pan to be extra hot, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar, then add the ginger. 


Watch it sizzle then smile lovingly to yourself.


Then with the most advanced utensil you own, use your hands, and grab handfuls of green beans until you can't take it anymore. Kidding, add as much or as little as you like. 


Oh yeah. Stir it around baby and inhale the sweet ginger aroma. 


Then add the garlic scapes and stir it around some more. 


Allow it to cook undisturbed for 5-7 minutes so that it absorbs the heated oil. 


Now get the pork belly involved.


Dump the sauce. 


With the same bowl, add about a 1/5 cup of water and dump that in the pan, too. This is to cut the saltiness and help create a nice sauce for the stir-fry.


Stir, baby, stir.


And if you must, chop and add these suckers at the end. Yeah, you don't want to add hot peppers to hot oil. Trust me... but if you insist, do let me know how you handled the situation.


Voila! Now serve over the carb of your choice: rice or noodles. ENJOY.



No comments:

Post a Comment