Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Salad w/ Orzo & other fun stuff...

The Boston heat wave has been brutal and required my apartment's thermostat to stay on 79 at the highest - it was sitting between 72-75. This definitely makes me wonder how I managed the Saigon heat last May. And plus this serves  to remind me that the summer is almost over and my birthday is almost here. How scary! On top of that, I'm still waiting for the confirmation on this moving business... so crazy... I'm only moving about a mile away to a new apartment if everything goes as planned. And back to the same building I've lived at twice before at two different times in my life. Maybe the 3rd time's a charm like however the saying goes.

My dear friend Sue is putting together my birthday dinner and Lola is already planning on baking my birthday cake with all the fixin's I like. As always, I also like to keep my birthday low key and intimate. I really just want to celebrate it with close friends who know how my past year went down (or up) and are there to reflect on the positives with me. I know, I'm quite cheesy. In any case, we are going to one of my favorite places in Harvard Square, Russell House Tavern, so I can't wait.

I got a bit off topic but the weather completely cooled down today, which reminds me to eat my greens. Nothing quite nicer than a summer salad for dinner on a Sunday night to make Monday mornings feel more welcoming. Seriously.


The orzo should really be the main character... I had to order this brand online. I probably didn't need to but it was hard trying to find a Greek market in town and accessible via the T.  They do come in different grain size as you can see these are the "large" - I've definitely used mediums before. 


The AUDITION. Why? I didn't end up using everything you see in this photo. Originally, I wanted to call this post, the summer salad with everything but the kitchen sink. 


Fresh crisp greens always make my day brighter and healthier. :)


Gotta' rinse that celery heart... rinse it well, girl (boy). 


Slice 'em up beautifully... or not... or however you like to slice 'em. 


We all need a lil' heat in our life. What's romance without the heat? I don't understand the connection with romance and salads but I'm sure you get the gist of it.  Don't worry, these peppa's* aren't hot - nothing like the tacos from hell at Tremont 647 on taco tuesday. I sat there crying for a good 30 minutes.

*seriously, you non-Boston folks, please do not say to another Bostonian, "whoa, you don't have the Boston accent" - not everyone from Boston has an accent. what the heck... 


That taco from hell make these guys seem like the wimps of the peppa'** family. 

**seriously, I do not say the word like that in real life. 


Slice up some beautiful tomatoes. Yes, I'm extremely cheesy today - I think everything is beautiful!


Lookin'*** good. 

***seriously, I do drop my "g's" sometimes. i often say "keepin' it real, son"- yup, with the comma and all. 


The only thing summer about the salad is the peach. Man, I hate to cut peaches.


I try to do this first (slice it?) then break it apart with my bare hands. It ain't no easy task. 


This was the best I could do under the circumstances. 


But my slicin' skills came in handy and it don't look so bad after all. 


Pickles are the true secret to a delicious salad. I can't imagine eating salads w/o pickles anymore. It adds such a nice punch and kick. I know, I am using ninja terms to describe food because that's how versatile I am. 


With the amount of TJ products in this one post, you'd think TJ paid me to do this. But no... I'm just a huge fan and they're about 5 blocks away from me. 


I don't care how big you are or how often you take lipitor - but when it comes to cheeses. Full fat only. Anything else is just a lie. Who wants to live a lie? I know I don't - neither should you. 


This salad is just getting prettier and prettier.


Now, the orzo, slivered almonds, and dried sweetened cranberries. 


I added some fresh ground pepper and sea salt then toss it all together. Toss toss!


Go feed your soul. 


In the mean time, it is summer and rosé is my drink of choice. This bottle was a recommendation from Central Bottle which is a super cute liquor store near MIT and Central Square. They carry different types of cured meats, cheeses, and breads as well. Do check it out. 


As you can see from the cork, the bottle was stored properly. Thank you.


Pouring myself a modest glass and you can see my reflection! 

Anyway, that's all folks. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment