Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pork, Shrimp, and Fish Dumplings w/ Shiitake Mushrooms

I have made dumplings more time on this blog than anything else.  I should start a dumpling wholesale business.  Seriously, I mean it.  You can start placing orders.  I can't help it - they're just so fun to make and makes my heart flutter with joy.  If my heart can flutter... or makes my heart beat with joy?  Whatever, you get the point. These are a lot more dim-sum like than any other ones... I think because of the protein density.

On another note, I'm going to Stockholm in September! To visit my old roommate from Israel.  I have not seen him in over 5 years so I totally can't wait.  He's now a make-up artist at Christian Dior.  I totally can't wait.  Let me pull up some throwback photos.


This was us at some ultra cool hookah lounge somewhere in the old city of Jaffa


Us in Jerusalem (there are very few photos of me wearing sunglasses)


Us in Taba, Egypt

Oh! Just looking at these photos make me so excited and can't, can't wait to see him in Stockholm and see his new life there! 

It must also be something about Israel that I decided to make both pork and shrimp - damn, I'm just missing a dairy product in this thing. 



In the mix:

1.5lbs of ground pork
2 cups of minced tilapia
1.5 cups of minced shrimp
1 cup of minced shiitake mushrooms
1 egg
3 Ts of fish sauce (oyster brand)
2 Ts of sugar
1/2 T of chopped chili peppers


Pile of cleaned and gutted shrimp - gosh, these things are so high maintenance. I would definitely hire someone to clean shrimp for me. 


Mincing it until it turns paste-like. 


Just like this. 


Rinsing these suckers and squeezing them well. 


Minced shiitake mushrooms. 


Nice and firm tilapia filets. I really don't like tilapia on its own so I think it was perfect to add them into the dumpling mix. 


All minced up.


These guys are very spicy so use with caution. 


Adding the fish sauce.


I used this brand but you can use whatever else you have on hand like the two crabs or three crabs or four... whatever.


Add a few drops of vinegar. Do it. I promise it will help your dumplings taste better and super terrific. 


Combine super well.  At this point, I just put my hands in there and made sure that it was all well mixed together. 


My set up. I was making a ton so I really needed to take a seat. For wrapping instructions, do visit any other links to my previous dumplings making adventures. 


I made about five plates like this and plan on freezing most of it. 


This was the best photo I could take with very dirty hands as you can see... they were definitely yummy and reminded me of the ones I get at dim sum. 

ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment