Friday, July 29, 2011

The Obsession w/ My iPhone

(nope, not about food...)


Trust me, I’ve read endless articles on those who sleep with their phones under their pillow just in case someone texts them in the middle of the night.  I used to shake my head in shame at how one could be so attached to technology.  After all, it’s just a phone, right?

No, wrong. I was totally and completely wrong.  How do I know this?  I lost my iPhone less than 48 hours ago and my world has turned upside down and all around - not to sound so cliché.  You see, I’ve been an iPhone user for as long as I know it and looked forward to all the upgrades over the years.  I was particularly impressed with the iPhone 4 and liked it more than I liked my first few iPhones – and maybe I’m only saying this because it’s the only iPhone I’ve since lost.  What I am really trying to say is that I have become completely obsessed and attached to my iPhone without even knowing it.  Yeah, that’s bad.  Let me explain.

Within the last 48 hours, I have come back to the same establishment, where I believe I lost my phone, 5 different times.  I have made over 15 phone calls and written at least 10 emails.  I’ve even scoured postings on Craigslist just to make sure that no one stole my phone and is trying to sell it on the black market.  I think the Find My iPhone site is now my homepage. Fortunately and unfortunately, it tells me that my iPhone is still at that establishment but that establishment can’t seem to find my iPhone.  The frustration is overwhelming.  And when the establishment asked me what my iPhone looked like, this was my description: “black iPhone 4 in a teal Speck case”.  Seriously?

My girlfriends tried to commiserate with me, one said, “oh at least you had a good time on the date, right?” I said, “are you kidding me, there’s nothing more reliable than my phone – for goodness sake, I sleep with it every night!” 

My coworker asked me to join her and a group of friends for happy hour after work and I told her that I needed to go home and mourn the loss of my phone.  Yeah, I’ve got issues.

I even told another girlfriend that I’d rather watch my Herve Leger dress burn in a flaming pit of fire than lose my iPhone ever again.  For those who know me, they know I love my Herve Leger bandage dress.  That was a bold statement.  I might even go as far as saying I’d give up chocolate for the next year.  It is pathetic I’m telling you.

All of a sudden, I don’t know how to coexist in this world anymore.  I walk around now with my old iPhone 3G activated so that I have contact with the outside world, yet, I feel so foreign.  The identity that came with owning a new iPhone 4 in a sleek teal Speck case is now gone and all I’m left with is using an outdated model suffering from serious wear & tear.  Since I just synced my old iPhone 3G with my computer, all of what I had on my iPhone 4 is gone… photos from London, of my dog sleeping with a ball in her mouth, and random photos of my friend’s cute lil’ baby.  My apps are all unorganized and not in the appropriate folders, the fonts look different, and everything is so much slower.  I’ve lost my recent contact information, my calendar has disappeared, and everything just looks so darn fuzzy!  Just from my description, you would wonder how I ever functioned with that phone.

Fortunately, the establishment’s security department has not called me back yet to confirm that they have or do not have my iPhone 4 in their safe somewhere.  So, there’s still a little hope but it’s feeling quite meek.

I am looking forward to civilization and forking over $700 for a new one.  No, not really.  

No comments:

Post a Comment