Monday, December 13, 2010

Xôi Mặn (Chinese Sticky Rice) Part Deux

So, my sticky-rice-lovin' hippo was coming back to town and could not stop talking about the sticky rice that I made last time... which lead to my second attempt to make it for him so he would stop asking. This time, I had a different approach to cooking and changing one ingredient: mixing everything together before cooking and button mushrooms to dried chinese shiitake mushrooms. I still made my own broth* from bone-in chicken thighs and hand pulled the meat afterwards.

All other ingredients remain the same except no garlic & ginger:

3 cups of chicken broth (2 bone-in chicken thighs**)
2 cups of glutinous rice soaked overnight
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of oyster sauce
1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup of sliced dried shiitake mushrooms
4 links of sliced chinese sausage
**hand pulled chicken thigh meat
1/4 cup of sliced spring onions (just the pale part)
1/4 cup of sliced spring onions (just the green part)


*Again, you can easily buy chicken broth instead of making your own.

I soaked about a 1/2 cup of these guys overnight and just thinly sliced them the next day. Just make sure you give them a few good squeezes and rinses or the "umami" flavor will be quite strong.



Soaked glutinous rice thrown into a large mixing bowl.



Now add the mushrooms, chicken, and chinese sausage to the mixing bowl.



Pour in the sauce (soy sauce, oyster sauce, and rice wine vinegar).



Then pour in the chicken broth. Mix well.



In a large pot, add 1 TSP of canola oil, wait until hot, then add spring onions. Stir well and allow to brown.



Lower heat and pour the mixture in. Cook on very low heat coverd for about 20 minutes. Check often on the rice's tenderness. As you can tell, the water level is covering the rice roughly over a 1/2 inch.



After 20+ minutes, everything is well cooked. Take off stove and pour into a large bowl. Serve warm. I forgot to take a picture of my adding the sliced spring onions (green part) but do add some!



On the side, I also folded some wontons into gold nuggets w/ ground pork, garlic chives, taro, and a pinch of ginger.






I brought some to my office to share with everyone and everyone agreed that this new method was better than the last. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment