Monday, December 13, 2010

Black Sticky Rice Dessert (Bee Koh Moy)

This dessert turned out part Malaysian and Vietnamese. How cute? My other half is half Malaysian - get it? The Malaysian variety includes a knotted pandan leaf but instead of that, I added toasted salted sesame seeds, which is often found in Vietnamese glutinous rice desserts. The dessert is so straight forward to make and the flavor, texture, and deliciousness make this dish just divine! I also brought some to the office and everyone enjoyed it. Even my sunshine found it to be tasty albeit it not being too sweet unlike American desserts.

I used one cup of black glutinous rice, 1 cup of coconut milk with 4 T of raw sugar and 1 capful of vanilla extract, and 1 TSP of raw sesame seeds toasted w/ some oil and a pinch of kosher salt.

In a large pot, I cooked 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of water over low heat and covered. Please excuse the steam in the photo.



After 15 minutes, I removed the rice and placed in a colorful bowl. The texture is still slightly al dente. I like that.



I just love the color! The deep purple hue is so beautiful.



In another pot, I added a can of coconut milk, 1 capful of vanilla extract (feel free to add pandan extract if you have that instead), and sugar.



I allowed the coconut milk to cook over low heat until it starts to boil then I took it off the stove.



In a small pan, I toasted the sesame seed over low heat. It took about 10 minutes to brown.



In a bowl, add some rice and top with the toasted sesame seed. How awesome does that look so far?!



Such a simple dessert to make but yet so elegant.



Now top with the coconut milk and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment