Sunday, January 9, 2011

Xôi Gà Mặn (Vietnamese Chicken Sticky Rice)

This is slightly different from the original chicken sticky rice I made and the part deux. I guess, I wanted to try different styles of cooking it and added a ginger-garlic-scallion oil (mơ hành) sauce that is very Vietnamese when it comes to making sticky rice. Some families only add scallion and oil but I like to add in ginger and garlic.

Broth:
8 cups of water
2 bone-in chicken thighs
2 Ts of salt

Filling:
2 hand shredded chicken thighs
1/2 cup of sliced shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup of chinese sausage

Ginger-Garlic-Scallion Oil:
3-5 cloves of minced garlic
1 knob of minced ginger
1 bunch of chopped scallions (green part only)
2 Ts of neutral oil
1 T of salt

Sauce:
1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of oyster sauce


In a large pot, I made chicken stock with two bone-in chicken thighs. Cook it on very low heat for clear broth. I saved the broth to make a nice homey soup - how awesome!


In a smaller pot, I added two cups of drained (previous soaked) glutinous rice and about 1 cup of broth). I cooked it low heat and covered. Glutinous rice does not need a lot of water to cook at all.


After 10 minutes over low heat, I get this! So fluffy and fantastic. Remove it from heat and placed in a large mixing bowl. Set it aside. 



Take out the chicken and allow it to cool before you shred. I do recommend soaking it in a pot of iced cold water. I was missing a pot... so, unfortunately, I ended up with chicken that was not as moist as I would like.


2 beautiful links of chinese sausage. As a kid, I could easily just eat white rice, chinese sausage, with some soy sauce, everyday.


Chop it up!


Pan fry it on medium heat until it crisps up a bit. It's fatty, like bacon, but not as fatty so you don't really need to use any oil to cook it.


Pour it over the rice but save the fatty goodness in the pan. I know it sounds difficult but try for the next part.


Shiitake mushrooms. 


Slice them up nice and thin. Oh yeah!


Throw the mushrooms back in that same pan with the fatty goodness from the chinese sausage. 


Now make the sauce.


Then pour it into the pot with the mushrooms. Cook for about 10 minutes - enough for the mushrooms to soak it all that nice flavors. 


Yum. I could eat these mushrooms over white rice, everyday, also. 


Make the ginger-garlic-scallion oil sauce in the mean time. I put in the garlic first, let that cook for a few minutes, then add ginger, then the scallions. Add the salt last. Cook for about 5 minutes or so. 


Shred the chicken and dump it over the chinese sausage.


Then the mushrooms.


Then the sauce.


Combine well and enjoy. Like MPM likes to say - there's crack in it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I could totally see how this would be addictive, all the flavors! The finished product looks so good!

    ReplyDelete