Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Meal and Fajitas Fixings

I have been overwhelmed with being an adult that I, who LOVES to cook, was hesitant to make dinner when a friend asked. However, I took it as an opportunity to break in the new kitchen and deflower the oven. And more importantly, sit at the new red dining table. Oh la la. But when the moment came to set the table - I had a (long) flash of fear... am I setting it right? is this where the spoon should go? wait! did I even get the right spoon?! where are all my serving pieces?! darn it... where are the "new" white wine glasses? i'm doomed.

I also have 5 different sets of flatware. Yup, that was not a typo. And there's one set that's been circulating in the family that contains everything you need for a more formal setting along with serving pieces. Of course, I only entertain my guests with the best and took those dusty things from their ziplock home to set. There is something seriously wrong with me when it comes to meal time (I sound like a puppy, I know).


Anyway, I kept it casual and light.



I want it to make something healthy for the fillings so I used green beans, peppers, baby bella mushrooms, apples, peaches, shallots, and onions.



I simply julienne the apples and peppers.



I used my pairing knife to halves the green beans. So pretty!



I'm totally diggin' this look.



I stacked my mushrooms and sliced them straight down. Be careful not to slice your finger - happens to me all the time.



[imagine photo of my slicing the peach very thinly here]

Toss everything together with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Healthy, yummy, and tasty all at once.



On the stove, I caramelized onions and shallots. Turn the stove to medium heat with oil. Wait until the pan is hot then toss in onions and shallots (make sure they're dry if not your oil will start to bubble and burst - we don't want that now).



I pushed the onions and shallots to the side and cooked my strip steak (pre-marinated from Trader Joe's) in the same pan (I was lazy). Cooking time varies and depends on thickness and many other factors but for simplicity's sake - just make sure that each side is well charred before you turn them over.



Once done, remove and slice the meat then toss with the onions. Lime is optional.



I like corn tortillas and if you do too, just make sure you steam them before you serve. Now, I'm back to contemplating my life as an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment