Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Vietnamese Peanut Hoisin Dipping Sauce (Nước Chấm Tương đậu Phộng)

Anna's Peanut Sauce?!

I don't mean to sound so vain but I don't know what else to call it since it is not a traditional recipe for Vietnamese spring rolls peanut dipping sauce. I told my office that I will be bringing in more fixings (I don't know why I'm so country lately) for spring rolls making as well as the sauce.

This is super simple to make... 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup of hoisin sauce, 1/2 cup of chunky peanut butter, 1 diced ripe tomato, and 1 sliced shallot. Please adjust this recipe to your liking - some prefer this sauce for hoisin-y and others prefer it more peanut buttery so don't be afraid to have fun with it.

I only eat chunky peanut butter - anything else is just wrong... wrong.



In a sauce pot, turn the stove to medium heat and add 2 cups of water. When almost rolling boiling, add the diced tomatoes and shallots.



Then add in 1/2 cup of hoisin sauce. Hoisin sauce is really not that salty or powerful so don't be afraid that starting with a 1/2 cup of hoisin is too much and would require the adding of water to dilute the taste. You might find yourself adding more depending on your boldness preference. This is what the color should look like...



[then add the peanut butter and stir until well combined]

This is what the texture and color should look like if you follow this recipe as written. It is nice and thick but not too dense. Ta da!

No comments:

Post a Comment